Sunday, July 17, 2016

Week in Review - Week 29


Random Thoughts

This last week kicked my butt. Last Saturday the guy and the dog both were under the weather. Mackie seems to have been an allergy and some Benadryl cleared him up. He was still not himself for a couple more days but seems better. The first morning he was better, though, the guy was even worse. So, we spent Thursday at the ER (and probably should have been there before that day). He has an infection and came home with some antibiotics. If they don't work he might have to have surgery, so everyone cross fingers and toes they work. He all ready seems a lot better and ate a real meal last night for the first time all week. As a result, reading and other things all fell to the wayside. If I didn't do some reading on Saturday, I wouldn't have finished anything all week! The fact that this was the time last year where I broke my ankle and derailed my entire summer was a fun undercurrent to the events. I am really happy that it is the weekend!

Graphic Novel Year

Captain Marvel & the Carol Corps
Amazing Spider-man - Volume 5: Spiral
Hawkeye - Volume 5: All-New Hawkeye
Giant-Size Little Marvel: AvX
Secret Wars: Secret Love #1


Currently Reading


Audiobook 


Weekly Reading

Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps ~ (Marvel) ~ Another Secret Wars comic. At least this one takes place in an alternate World War II, so it worked for me a lot better than some of the other Secret Wars comics. It includes a cast of women and I all ready enjoy Carol Danvers. I am really behind with my Marvel reading, but I enjoyed finishing up this series. Maybe not the best in the over all Carol Danvers world, but enjoyable. Recommended!


The Amazing Spider-Man - Volume 5 ~ This concluded the Spider-man run before he entered Secret Wars. This comic was actually a mini series that happened separate from the larger series that was also running. I have read a lot of Spider-man since getting Marvel Unlimited. He still is not my favourite Marvel character, but I enjoy my time with him here and there. Recommended!



Hawkeye - Volume 5: All-New Hawkeye ~ I was buying this series, but I didn't preorder this one last year and just ended up reading it on Marvel Unlimited. I have OCD and will need to own it at some point. Maybe my birthday or Christmas I will catch up with it! In the meantime, Jeff Lemire has taken over writing the series and he has long been a favourite of mine. I am enjoying the story, but I am not sure the art is clicking with me at times. It is still a good series and I look forward to the next volume. Recommended!

The Monopolists ~ Audio ~ My only non-comic of the week was my audio read for the week. I have wanted to read this book for ages and am so glad that I did. I probably own 10 different versions of Monopoly, but I haven't actually sat down and played it in years. It was my favourite game for years, though, and I enjoyed learning the history. I had no idea that a woman was one of the early inventors of the game, for example. I learned a lot and definitely recommend both the book and the narrator.

Giant Size Little Marvel: AvX ~ This was a fun diversion where the Avengers, X-Men, Inhumans, and Guardians of the Galaxy are all little kids. Basically two twins move into the area and they try to talk them into joining their team. And, there are battles and competitions. It was fun and I really enjoyed it. Recommended!




Secret Wars: Secret Love ~ I think this is the only comic for this storyline, but haven't really had a chance to look into it. It is a collection of short stories about Marvel characters and their romance. It is not really all secrets, but it was a chance to see different authors and illustrators tell the Marvel characters stories. Recommended!




New Additions

Darwin's Radio
Saga - Volume 6
Ms. Marvel - Volume 5: Super Famous
Fables - The Wolf Among Us - Volume 2

Weekly Posts

Week in Review - Week 28

Weekly Pictures





















10 comments:

  1. Your photographs are absolutely stunning. The one of the key just captures my imagination. I'm sorry to hear the guy is feeling bad and will keep all my fingers crossed that the antibiotics clear it up. Ankle breaking sucks. I smashed mine to bits coming up on 10 years ago and it still twinges now and then but it is so much better. For a long time I thought it never would be. I'll never have my full range of movement but I can wear heels again and be on my feet all day without having to spend the next week with it elevated and an ice pack. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely interested in The Monopolists now. Thanks for reviewing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard anything more so I hope this means that the Man is doing MUCH better and no surgery is needed. I hope you can get some reading done this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, sorry to hear about the guy! I hope he's back to his old self before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Mackie! I'm crossing all my fingers that everything went well and got sorted out with no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about all the illness, that sounds rough! But yay to The Monopolists, glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pictures of your week. I should get in the habit of doing that. Hope that all the bugs have cleared up now -- surgery would be so drastic, I hope your guy doesn't have to go through that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photos are gorgeous! All that water looks really refreshing and relaxing right now.

    I enjoyed both of the books you're reading now. I hope they work for you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no, I'm sorry to read about all the health issues! :( I hope surgery is not needed for him, fingers crossed.
    I got Me Before You not too long ago and I'm thinking of reading it soon, or I'll be the last reader to, it looks like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have certainly been getting your money's worth out of Marvel Unlimited! I sure wish DC would do the same thing as I'd be there in a blip of a second.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.