Friday, October 21, 2016
2. | So, the readathon is this weekend. I won't be reading for it officially, but I have been posting at the Instagram account and plan to over the weekend as well! I look forward to seeing what everyone reads and visiting some blogs! It is such a huge event now. I know I have said this before, but the first couple readathons I visited every blog participating and usually more than once. Now I find it overwhelming! Hope everyone has lots of fun!
3. | I got an insane amount of books in the mail on Wednesday. It was crazy. I think the mail gods decided that I needed a pick me up when Casey still wasn't back and the worrying got worse... Only one parcel said it was out for delivery and some of the books were not supposed to be here until November. I am not complaining, but you need to space orders out or other humans start noticing. lol And, I guess my whole mood is making reading even harder right now. (Not going to lie, I teared up when I wrote the first paragraph...)
4. | I think I mentioned on a previous post, or somewhere on my blog, that my grandmother had fallen? Well, things are better there. She honestly could not maintain a house alone anymore and she was 2 and a half hours from my mother. After some thought, she is moving to an apartment closer to my mother. It is another bittersweet thing, really. My dad's parents passed away like 15 years ago and my mom's mom is really the only grandparent I got a good chunk of time with. I think my October has had enough bad things happen in it and it is not over yet...
5. | Finn is missing Casey, too. He camps out by the door most of the day. He hated when she went outside before, but he has never wanted to go out himself. When I look for Casey I have Mackie and Finn standing on the doorstep with me. I feel really bad for him. He adored Casey and I doubt he knows what is happening. I wonder when he will get to a point that he stops waiting for her? We always call Casey the Queen because Mackie and Finn definitely know that she is the boss. I am a bad owner lately. Two days now I have forgot to feed Finn and Mackie supper because Casey wasn't here to tell me it was time. You just get used to something and then get thrown off when it is not there.
6. | I am struggling with reading. I haven't been listening to my audios or reading anything the last couple days. I am too distracted. I am starting to think my lofty post of audios I wanted to read next, that I posted on Tuesday, was crazy because I have been listening to the same two audios for like 2 weeks now. I need to get my head back in the game. I have been stressed in general and this whole cat thing is not helping. But, on Tuesday my house was clean and I got a bunch of reading done. I had high hopes that day for the rest of the week.
7. | I am starting to think I should take a blogging break because my posts are boring and depressing lately...
Thursday, October 20, 2016
My week has been a bit disorganised because Casey didn't come back in after being out Monday night, and we still have not found her. She is usually pretty predictable when she gets out, so I am concerned to say the least. I find working from home, I keep getting up and opening the door and calling for her. It means I am not settled doing anything this week... So, this post will not be all that different than last week...
WHAT ARE YOU CURRENTLY READING?
~ I have been mostly reading The Round House by Louise Erdrich, but I think it is a bit too slow paced for my mood. It is good, though! Last night I started Gemina by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff because I think this pace is better for me right now. I am only 60 pages in, but it is good so far. I think this will likely be a better fit for me right now. And, then, I am still technically reading The Geek Feminist Revolution, but keep forgetting about it... oops!
WHAT ARE YOU CURRENTLY LISTENING TO?
~ This has not changed from last week, which is crazy for me lately. I am still listening to What I Saw and How I Lied and Black Rabbit Hall. They are both really good, but I am just not making time for audio like I normally do...
WHAT DID YOU RECENTLY FINISH READING?
~ I finished The Nightingale. It was really good, but probably also not the exact book for my mood of late, so it took me forever. At least I enjoyed it, though! I hadn't read a historical fiction set in WWII in a very long time. It was a good one to go with to get into it again! I also read Fables: The Wolf Among Us - Volume 2. I had started off the week on a reading high, but I didn't know Casey was missing yet... Anyway, the Fables spin-offs, for me, are never quite as good as the original series, but it was good and I am glad I finally got around to reading it. And now, I have read everything and have no idea if there is anything else coming from the Fables world?
WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU WILL READ NEXT?
~ I had big plans, folks. Now I have no idea if I will even finish a book this week let alone what to go with next. I am just not good at this whole not knowing thing. Casey could be fine, but she is not here wailing at me for food. I just feel a little off with her not under foot. Last night I actually forgot to feed Finn because I always feed him when I feed Casey, and Casey wasn't here to remind me she was starving.
WWW Wednesday is hosted at Taking on a World of Words. I am just rebelling and posting on Thursday's instead.
Wednesday, October 19, 2016
Tuesday, October 18, 2016
Okay, so this is not the topic for the week... But, I wasn't really feeling the current one and decided to make my own post this week. If you want to see the real topic, head over to The Broke and the Bookish.
I have made a, likely to change, list of books I would like to listen to next... They are:
Being Jazz: My Life a (Transgender) Teen ~ I am pretty sure this is a television show, but since we do not have cable I am only familiar with the book. I am really curious about how she sees the world and make her way in it.
The Guineveres ~ This is one of those books making the rounds lately that has caught my eye. It is compared to The Virgin Suicides and I love that book!
The Motion of Puppets ~ I really enjoyed The Stolen Child, but have yet to read on with Donohue. This book has been catching my eye for months and I love the cover. It is time for me to read Donohue again!
Feedback ~ I listened to the first three books, so makes sense to listen to the 4th!
The Mothers ~ Another one that has been catching my eye that I am thinking about doing on audio. It sounds good!
Ghostland ~ This sounds really good for this time of the year!
All the Birds in the Sky ~ I have been curious about this book all year! I also saw the author on a documentary and was interested by them, too!
Stiletto ~ I enjoyed the first book in this series on audio and am curious to see what happens next!
Jane Steele ~ I have been planning to read this all year and hear that the audio was good... Now to actually get to it!
Fellside ~ I really enjoyed The Girl with all the Gifts on audio so was planning to listen to this one, too, but then the e-book was on sale over the weekend so might just read it!
Monday, October 17, 2016
Jenny at Alternate Readality did this meme of sorts, and since I am always looking for easy ways to blog... I thought I would, too!
1. | I am not a flowers, chocolates, and jewellery type. But, I did get flowers for my birthday this year that were multi-coloured and really have enjoyed using them for photo-a-day prompts. I could come around to this getting flowers thing!
2. | You probably know this, but I am atrocious at TV watching. There are so many shows that I have heard good things about and want to try. I watch an episode or two and then fall behind. The only two shows still on the air that I usually manage to catch-up on are NCIS and Bones.
3. | Autumn is my favourite season. I love the changing leaves and the crispness to the air. I used to love winter when I was younger, but it loses its appeal when you have to clean out your driveway or drive in dangerous conditions. Not to mention power outages in the winter suck!
4. | I rarely actually use my cellphone for any of the phone functions. I mostly use it as a little tablet... Although, I prefer to do any reading on the larger screens of my tablet (or usually dead, e-reader).
5. | I think you have probably figured this out lately, but I am very routine-oriented. If my routine gets thrown off, it throws off my day because I feel like there is stuff not finished when I get to the end of the day. It is why the summer is hard for me, the guys son is here a lot more and I lose my 'me' time in the morning.
6. | I like making lists and keeping track of things. I still do my day by day journal that I blogged about in like 2012. I think for 2017, I am going to take it one step further and get one of these Q&A a Day journals. If I can keep it up, it would be fun to see how I change over 5 years.
7. | I have a love/hate relationship with politics. I say I am going to ignore them and not comment on them, but as time passes I am spending more and more time glancing at the train wreck. I think Canadians need to pay more attention to our closest neighbours because what happens down there ultimately affects us... I just think we live in a scary world.
Not necessarily interesting, but it is what it is!
Sunday, October 16, 2016
I have had such a slow reading week, but hopefully this up-coming week goes a bit better! I am really struggling getting into a routine, I guess. So, reading keeps falling to the side. And, I can't blame the books. I am enjoying them. It is time. I honestly do not know where the hours in the day go most days. As of right now I am hoping to get this post done really fast so I can do about a million other things today. Remember when days off were relaxing? When we were like 10...
Graphic Novel Year
Nothing this week...
The Dreamer ~ I have been listening to random audios on Scribd and this was one of my recent choices. It was really good! I have heard good things about Pam Munoz Ryan and this was a good place to start with her. The story of a young boy overcoming a tough childhood to manage to see the beauty in the world and become a famous poet. The narrator was really good and I felt really captured the story. It is hard when an adult does primarily young people's voices, but he pulled it off well and I really enjoyed the overall experience!
The Wicked + the Divine - Volume 4: Rising Action
Week in Review - Week 41
Wordless Wednesday - Take 4
WWW Wednesday - On Thursday (2)
Saturday Snapshot - Take 5
Saturday, October 15, 2016
I mentioned before that my grandmother had fallen and would likely have to move. My mother has started cleaning out her house, so she of course did books first. Most of my grandmother's books were gifts from me, but I felt like I should take something. I still have never read The Passage. I own The Time Traveler's Wife, but it is one of my favourite books and why not have my grandmothers copy. I went on a wild goose chase for those Di Morrissey books, so might as well see if they were worth it. She is hard to find here, but very prolific. And then, pretty sure those are my Ken Follett's that I never got around to reading so passed on to her and she enjoyed them. I guess I never did give her book 3. We will see if I get to them this time!
Friday, October 14, 2016
2. | I am pretty sure snails are reading for me lately. I have been reading The Nightingale all week and I am only like halfway. My audio listening has slowed way down, too. It's just discouraging because there is so much that I want to read and I am taking forever getting to it! I mean, I have a few unread graphic novels that I have received the last couple months. I don't know who I am reading-wise at the moment.
3. | I know that part of my reading issues are other hobbies. But, this blogging more isn't helping if I am taking away so much from my reading! I could be reading right now. Instead I read blogs and am now writing this post. My day just gets away from me and I know work is really getting me down at the moment which is not helping at all.
4. | I haven't really even been using Litsy. I stick a picture up and like the people I follow, but as fun as I find the app it is all ready something I am not finding time for. I had big plans and was so excited about its release.
5. | I am pretty sure the theme to 2016 is I have no time. I have tried to be more organised. I got into bullet journals and planners and cleaning schedules. I had high hopes that I could be better with time and get more done, but it is October and I still never accomplish anything. The days when my to do list in my Bullet Journal is all checked off is rare. And, the stuff that I don't get to are usually simple things or just simply enjoyable things.
6. | So, what do I do when life feels insane? Buy books... That I do not have time to actually read! Yesterday, I used Audible credits in their sale and got the beginning to the Vorkosigan series because apparently reading the actual series hasn't worked well. But, who knows when I will get to them? I suppose there are worst things you can do when you are feeling down, but all it does is put more books in view that I want to read and don't have time for.
7. | I really should say something positive in this list, but I am not sure what to say at this point. I love the autumn, but they are predicting a bad winter. I am all ready feeling blah now, so I have no idea how I will make it through a winter with lots of snow. And with other changes happening, I predict my overall mood to get worse instead of better.
Bookish (And Not So Bookish) Thoughts is hosted over here.
Thursday, October 13, 2016
WHAT ARE YOU CURRENTLY READING?
~ I am reading The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. I have read Hannah in the past, but her books were not like this one when I read her. I was surprised to see a bunch of buzz surrounding this one and discover it was about WWII. I just never got around to getting a copy. Then, I participated in a book exchange on Facebook and this is one of the books I was sent. I still took a couple months to pick it up, but I am so glad I did! I am really enjoying it and hope to finish it soon. I am also still reading The Geek Feminist Revolution. I should be a lot further into that than I am, but I have been reading an essay or two on my lunch break and I had a long weekend and kind of forgot about it. Hopefully I can find some time for it this week!
WHAT ARE YOU CURRENTLY LISTENING TO?
~ I am continuing my random use of Scribd audios and went with What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell as my next listen. I have never heard of it before, but the synopsis sounded good and it was short. It is really good so far and I think it is my first time listening to an audio with a younger narrator. Or, at least she sounds young. I am still early into it, so we will see how it goes! For my audible listen, I am listening to Black Rabbit Hall. I am still early in because folks, I just either suck at time management or there are not enough hours in a day. I try to get better at it, but I just can't seem to...
WHAT DID YOU RECENTLY FINISH READING?
~ My most recent finish was The Dreamer, which I mentioned listening to last week. It was really good considering the bleak landscape it was set against. And, I really thought the narrator did a good job with the narration. It was only 3 hours and seemed to take me forever, but at least I have found a way to work an audio into other areas of my time. The other audio I was listening to last week was The Last Days of Magic and I ended up DNFing it. I really liked it, but it was so hard to keep the story straight on audio. I would have liked to have got a physical copy to follow along with, but the book is way too expensive even in e-book form. So, I plan to get the paperback in March and may try the audio again then, too.
WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'LL READ NEXT?
~ Last week I said Black Rabbit Hall, which turned out to actually happen. Yay, me! Otherwise, I am just picking what sounds good. I am making my way through everything so slowly that it is hard to commit to anything. I was hoping the fall could be a time to push through some of the books I have been neglecting all year, but not off to a good start!